Just highlights, as my more complex/critical thoughts have been elsewhere…
- Differentiated study reviews: Successful group reviews for the Quarterly Assessment! Haven’t looked to see the results yet, so we’ll see.
- Community/relationship building: Positive interactions with parents! I’ve reached out to the all the parents of my 2 classes that are struggling the most, and initially got a lot of messages thanking me for helping their kids. Also have maintained updated with a couple of parents!
- Queerness in middle school: Overheard a student explaining what a “stud” is to her friends during our Halloween party 🤣 Middle school drama is still petty and terrible, but it made my heart happy to hear about kids being out and dating and being talked about as just regular people!
- Queerness in middle school: Giant rainbow fan as part of one of my student’s costumes! I DIED 🏳️🌈
- Cultural exposure: Giving macarons out during the Halloween party to my 7th graders! I’ve overheard them pointing at pictures of macarons in my classroom and saying they’ve never had one and wanted to try. One kid took a picture he was so excited! Also brought in some brioche, which a girl asked to take a little bit home of. 🥖🥐